Monday 23 February 2015

The Beautiful Stranger

The Beautiful Stranger…..



June 1986….

The summer holidays had started. My mother had also gone to Darbhanga with all my siblings to stay with her husband for the holiday period. I had stayed back for a week with the excuse of finishing the holiday homework. And now, tomorrow I was supposed to leave finally.

“Let me finish my recording of the songs and parcel it before leaving.” I thought and started to play the songs.

Koi Jab tumhara hriday tod de ……

I increased the volume and started rehearsing. The volume was purposely increased so that no one knows what I am doing. (Log kya kahenge syndrome)

Then it was chaand ko kya maloom….

And  Tumhi meri manjil….

Suddenly I realized once my cassette player stopped there was a song from somewhere outside in equal volume…

Ajnabee kaun ho tum….

I looked out of the window.

O damsel! A beautiful girl almost same age standing in the balcony of the house just next to ours, standing in the scorching summer heat with only soothing effect of the shade from the huge mango tree in front. As our eyes met she went back to her room.

I replied with another song and tried to see from the cracks in the window.
She had again come out and also trying to check if I was seeing. It gave me courage.

And now the song playing became a game for us.

One song from my side – instant reply from the other.

What more could I have asked for a wonderful summer holiday.  I only remember the last songs that we played repeatedly.

Tera Mera Pyaar Amar….

In response my reply was Dheere Dheere Bol koi sun na le… It was 4:00 p.m now and there was more life outside with people on the roads and kids in the ground. So the melody journey stopped lest the neighbours get to know.

Next day morning, I got up early and went to the terrace to see if I can get some glimpse. But the door seemed to be locked. I played the song again (not that loud as it was early hours of the day)

But no response!

I enquired – she was niece of the tenant in the adjoining house who had come for a day and had left late night yesterday for Jamshedpur along with her maternal uncle.

Ah that beautiful stranger … how can I forget?

Aditya Sinha
23.02.2015
Aligarh

This post is written in response to Indispire 53 topic - The stranger I can't forget #stranger

You May also like the following memoirs :


 Reliving the       Gift from        Standing Punished      I told You So ...
 love moments     Piggy Bank     in Girls School Campus

                                                       











No comments:

Post a Comment